What is basketball?
Basketball is a fast-paced sport that involves two teams of five players each. The objective is to try and score by throwing the ball accurately through a hope. The team with the most points wins.
History of basketball in our school
St. Brigid’s Secondary School has a long tradition and reputation for school basketball. We are currently playing in Senior A, Cadet A and second year and first year A dimensions. It gives the girls a chance to meet and train with girls who may not necessarily be in their own class, or even in their own year. It also gives them the rare chance to play with girls from other rival clubs. Basketball is a very competitive sport in our school and always has one of the highest interest levels. We have teams for first years, second years, cadet and senior girls.
5 benefits from basketball
It’s a whole-body workout and good for muscle development.
They will learn the importance of good sportsmanship.
Improves social development and team-work skills.
Learning about the importance of respecting authority and self-discipline.
In St Brigid’s, the team of coaches include Ms. Kate Donnellan, Mr. Christian Lyne-Roberts and Ms. Emma Bunworth. Training takes place in our very own full-size basketball court which is located on the grounds of the school. Training is usually one evening after school for each team, but sessions can increase on approach to games and tournaments. The teams work on skill-improving drills, tactics and mini games to improve their knowledge of the game, both offensively and defensively.
2023 season a sucess!
- Minor & Junior basketball team won the Southwest Regional Finals.
- Both teams went forward to qualify for the All Irelands.
- Juniors won an All-Ireland silver medal their first defeat in two years after winning the All Ireland in 2022
- The minors went on to win the All-Ireland Cup the second year in a row for St. Brigid's. They beat Crescent Comprehensive with a final score of 41-23
- The cadet team also were successful this season as they secured All Ireland Bronze.
- Our minor and junior basketball team won the Southwest Regional Finals after going unbeaten for 5 games.
- They both then went forward to qualify for the All Irelands.
- Our juniors won an All-Ireland Bronze Medal after losing in the semis by a last minute 3- pointer.
- The minors went on to win the All-Ireland Cup and went the whole season unbeaten. They beat Pres Kilkenny comfortably in the final to lift the cup in the National Basketball Arena, Dublin
- In 2008 we were 1st Year A All-Ireland winners and Kerry League and semi-finalists of the All-Ireland at Cadet Level.
- In 2009 we were 2nd Year Kerry League winners and Senior A semi-finalists and Cup Quarter finalists.
- St. Brigid's Presentation Secondary School Killarney Junior A basketball team won the All Ireland final on May 2nd, 2017 in the National Arena in Tallaght. They played Portlaoise in the semi-final and won 42-38. They played Malahide in the final and won 37-27. A great success for a great team of girls!
Several past pupils of our school have followed their success with the school at national level where they went on to represent Ireland at different levels.